Friday, September 22, 2006

new Berube book

Michael Berube, the scarily prolific Penn State professor of dangeral studies, has another new book out, Rhetorical Occasions: Essays on Humans and the Humanities, which I highly recommend, though I haven't read it yet.

Well, then how can I recommend it? Firstly, I've read some of the essays in it already, like The Elvis Costello Problem in Teaching Popular Culture, which originally appeared in the Chronicle of Higher Education. "The Elvis Costello Problem" is Berube's answer to the critique often posed of teaching popular culture: namely, that we have no way of knowing what popular culture will stand the test of time, and therefore shouldn't spend time on shows or songs that may be forgotten five years from now.

Essentially, his argument draws on his background in literature to argue that that same stricture does not apply to teaching modern fiction, for reasons that can be extrapolated easily to the teaching of popular culture. But he says it much more elegantly in the article, and so I suggest you read it, and I'll be looking forward to my copy of the book itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home